Countdown to my 30th birthday. A new post each day in April to chronicle at least one significant thing from each year I’ve been alive.
- I turn 27 years old
- When I told Husband I’d do 30 days of paleo with him, I also told him I’d crossfit with him until my 27th birthday. I don’t know what I was thinking, but it changed our lives. We’ve been paleo ever since and have crossfitted on and off ever since then. By my 27th birthday, I was in the best shape of my life and could do a deadhang pull-up for the first time ever. At 30, I’m right behind where I was at 27. My teaching schedule allowed me much more time for working out than I have now, but I will be starting to train at a local crossfit gym in May, so we’ll see what I can’t accomplish before I go and get pregnant.
- I apply to graduate school. I felt very strongly that God told me to attempt a PhD when I was at my undergraduate graduation, and Husband and I felt like this was the year to do it.
- I present papers at two academic conferences to beef up my CV for my graduate applications. One presentation is with a sweet friend from church another is with one of my dear friends from the Rwanda trips.
- I get the chance to go to Sacramento to do some work for the state department of ed. I consider applying for work there if graduate school doesn’t work out as I turned out to be fairly successful at networking
Some historical tidbits from Wikipedia, so who knows if they’re right. Historical Facts:
- Haiti earthquake
- Chilean earthquake & mining accident
- #1 movie at the box office: Toy Story 3 (I showed this on my very last day teaching. I might have cried.)
- Oscar for best picture: The King’s Speech (I just didn’t get the hype over this one)
- Billboard’s #1 song: Tik Tok–Kesha
- Grammy Song of the year: Single Ladies–Beyonce