Countdown to my 30th birthday. A new post each day in April to chronicle at least one significant thing from each year I’ve been alive.
- I turn 15 years old and start driving
- I compete on my class drill team (I believe this is an Adventist thing) and we win first place
- I get told I’m going to hell for various reasons. My Bible class this year was really challenging for my faith, but ultimately really good. I made pretty good friends with the Catholic girl in my class. We were the only two who weren’t Adventist.
- I become increasingly involved in church. By now I’m singing on the praise team weekly, still involved in youth group, and participating in the evangelism program each week.
- Choir tour to San Francisco. My grandmother comes as one of the chaperones.
- Somewhere around here is the season where I give up secular music completely. Like many good Baptist kids around this time, I cracked all of my secular CDs. This is probably why I don’t remember the #1 Billboard song from this year.
- I start dating my first real boyfriend. We stay together for over two years. I was completely caught off guard when he told me he was interested in me.
Some historical tidbits from Wikipedia, so who knows if they’re right. Historical Facts:
- Google Inc is founded
- Hugo Chavez becomes president of Venezuela
- Khmer Rouge apologizes for the genocide in Cambodia (Particularly notable because we have good friends who were refugees from this)
- #1 movie at the box office: Armageddon
- Oscar for best picture: Shakespeare in Love
- Billboard’s #1 song: Too Close–Next (This is the first of these songs I haven’t recognized)
- Grammy Song of the year: Sunny Came Home–Shawn Colvin