Countdown to my 30th birthday. A new post each day in April to chronicle at least one significant thing from each year I’ve been alive.
- I turn 8 years old
- I finish 2nd grade
- My mom gets breast cancer. Undergoes surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. I distinctly remember how sick she got after the treatments and when she lost all of her hair.
- Some staffing issues happen at Montessori and my parents start looking for a new school for me
- My parents watched CNN all the time while I was growing up. I remember watching a lot of the news beginning around this time.
- My parents start taking me to church. Since mom is Catholic and dad is Southern Baptist, we go to both and they let me chose.
Some historical tidbits from Wikipedia, so who knows if they’re right. Historical Facts:
- Operation Desert Storm begins
- Rodney King beating
- Dissolution of the Soviet Union
- SNES is released
- KGB officially stops operations
- Magic Johnson announces his HIV
- #1 movie at the box office: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Oscar for best picture: Silence of the Lambs
- Billboard’s #1 song: (Everything I do) I do it for you–Bryan Adams
- Grammy Song of the year: From a Distance–Bette Midler