Countdown to my 30th birthday. A new post each day in April to chronicle at least one significant thing from each year I’ve been alive.
- I turn 5 years old
- I get my very first yearbook. I still have it. It makes me happy.
- I think I graduated from Daisy to Brownie (junior Girl Scout), but I never make it all the way to Girl Scout. I remember getting exactly 1 patch and that the garters for my socks were uncomfortable.
- I believe I also made my one and only model this year. My dad is really into astronomy/space, and the Discovery went up this year. He and I worked together on a model of the Discovery.
- My great grandmother, Catalina Vioag, comes to stay with us frequently. I remember her making me Filipino food and snacks when I came home from school. I also remember she used to read signs to herself all the time when we drove anywhere. I didn’t understand why when I was a kid, but now I’m pretty sure she was practicing her English.
- I had this sweet playschool house that I played in all the time.
- I believe this is the year we went to this big Filipino gala. It’s the first time I remember ever seeing my mom wear makeup. The next time might have been for my wedding.
- I’m pretty sure somewhere around now I took swimming lessons. I wasn’t a huge fan. This was the beginning of me being lazy in physical fitness activities.
- Sometime around here I become friends with two neighbor girls–Erica & Andrea. They were both older than me.
- I experience my first moment of racism with Andrea. She pretty much told me I was not able to do as much as her and Erica because I wasn’t white. I told her she was wrong and that my race had nothing to do with my ability to do anything and walked home. Erica made her come over to my house to apologize and we were all friends for a few years after that until Andrea moved away.
Some historical tidbits from Wikipedia, so who knows if they’re right.
- US Surgeon General states that the additive properties of nicotine are similar to that of heroine and cocaine
- Discovery, the first space shuttle flight since the Challenger
- George H.W. Bush is elected President
- #1 movie at the box office: Rain Man
- Oscar for best picture: Rain Man
- Billboard’s #1 song: Faith–George Michael
- Grammy Song of the year: Somewhere Out There–Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram