Countdown to my 30th birthday. A new post each day in April to chronicle at least one significant thing from each year I’ve been alive.
- I turn 3 years old
- Somewhere around 2 or 3 I decide on my own that diapers are gross and I’m going to use the toilet. My parents lucked out.
- My dad went to Australia to see Halley’s Comet. One of my first memories is freaking out when he left. I was very concerned he would never come back. This is one of my earliest memories.
- I also remember having a political t-shirt from the Philippines during the Marcos/Aquino situation. It was bright yellow, and I believe had Aquino’s face on it.
- I’m pretty sure I did preschool at a place called KinderCare near our house. We had nap time in plastic tub things that kept everyone in their own nap area. I always forgot to bring my pillow, so I could never sleep very well.
- My favorite “toy” was a small white pillow named Jenny.
Some historical tidbits from Wikipedia, so who knows if they’re right.
- The first PC virus spreads
- National Resistance Army Rebel Group takes over Uganda
- The Challenger tragedy occurs
- People Power Revolution in the Philippines: Ferdinand Marcos goes into exile
- Microsoft’s IPO happens
- The Chernobyl Disaster
- The Oprah Winfrey Show begins
- Iran-Contra Affair
- #1 movie at the box office: Top Gun
- Oscar for best picture: Platoon
- Billboard’s #1 song: That’s What Friends are For–Dionne & Friends
- Grammy Song of the year: We are the World–Michael Jackson & Lionel Richie