When I first heard about Paleo, I was sure I could never do it. I believe I actually said “I’m Asian. I need rice!” I was also so obsessed with whole grains and fiber that I was sure bodily functions could not properly work without them. Then husband and I took the challenge to eat only the most nutrient dense foods for 30 days. We broke our old food habits and had the complete intention of adding foods back in. Then we realized how amazing we felt eating this way! We’re both crazy about this lifestyle and would willing talk in-depth to anyone who’s interested about it. Unless you ask though, I probably won’t share a lot for fear of freaking you out. Here, however, is a short list of why I will likely be a Paleo eater for life!
1) In 7th-grade I developed this weird rash on my torso that would come and go. I went to several doctors about it and everyone told me I was allergic to my clothes or the detergent I was using. After switching detergents several times and washing all my clothes, I decided they didn’t know what they were talking about. After eating Paleo for a couple of months, it disappeared completely.
2) You know that awful bloated feeling you get after you eat too much? Yeah, that’s gone. Even if I eat until I know I can’t hold any more food, I never feel bloated like that.
3) I didn’t realize it until after I switched, but I actually feel like I fit in my body now. I feel the size I am and I feel good about it because I’ve eaten well.
4) Body composition is 80% diet, so yes, I do go to the gym a lot now, but even if I stopped, I wouldn’t gain a bunch of weight.
5) I perform better at the gym. I HATED PE as a kid. I was weak, uncoordinated, and generally unhealthy. Now, on most days, I go to the gym and attack the workout because I can. I don’t plan to waste away and die. I plan to go out strong.
6) I feel good about eating real, healthy, natural foods. I know what’s in everything I eat because I made it. Yeah, it’s an adjustment in time commitment, but the payoff is totally worth it! I can’t imagine going back to eating the quick processed food on a regular basis again.
7) My blood lipid panel improved. Triglycerides went down, good cholesterol went up, and bad cholesterol went down…and I probably eat a package of bacon a week!
My family has experienced a host of other great benefits, but these are the 7 most obvious and clear to me.